Saturday, March 19, 2016

My pride and joy!


So I have a friend at work, she's my best work friend, who has a shoe problem. She loves 'em, maybe a lil too much. She has a ton of them and decorates her office with a shoe theme. Customers even bring her little shoe decorations, like miniature shoes, shoe wine glasses, etc. So for Christmas (2013) I decided I would make her a shoe collage and it turned out to be my favorite piece of work I've done so far.I started out with a 12x12 canvas panel and sketched a peep toe on it.
I had a bunch of magazines I had collected for the purpose and started cutting pieces for the collage. I started gluing them on, using mostly black for the background and adding cutouts of shoes and cutouts of clothes for some interesting textures.
I also cut interesting phrases I found in the magazines that went with the theme. I wanted my shoe to be bright pink with a cream insole so then started the task of finding different shades of pink and cutting them out just right to blend and create shadows. This was hard but still immensely satisfying.
I couldn't tell you how many hours I labored over this shoe, but I loved every minute of it.
Here's a closer one of the shoe itself.
My friend absolutely loved it and it's on display in her office. She gets a lot of comments about it. I have to admit it makes me feel pretty good that she loved it so much and I can see it whenever I wish by going in her office! I haven't made another collage like that one yet, but I have several ideas in my head for more. One last pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment