Tuesday, October 28, 2014

It was two years ago, I believe, a friend of mine got married. Her and her husband-to-be were together for several years before tying the knot. I made them a mixed media assemblage piece on a 12x12 canvas panel incorporating all kinds of cool bits and pieces that I had and used their wedding colors of purple and cream as the main colors for the piece. I always had a love for mixed media, I was doing it before I even knew the term. I came across Finnabair in my internet wanderings and was greatly inspired. If you've never seen her work, please check it out! It's amazing! So drawing on her pieces as inspiration and my own love I did up this canvas panel commemorating the marriage.
During the ceremony they had done this sand deal, where my friend and her children poured sand in a vessel and her husband and his child poured sand in the vessel to symbolize two families coming together uniting as one. I thought it was wonderful symbolism. I had an idea to incorporate some of the sand, but someone accidentally threw it out after the ceremony, so I used some sand gotten off a beach somewhere in Florida. It still works right?! I did up this little vial with the sand in it to remember that union. I drew those little hearts on tissue paper with a micron pen then colored them in with a copic. Cut them out very carefully and used gel medium to glue them on the vial. The angel wings were a copy right free image I found online and just scaled them to the size I thought best for the vial. I thought it turned out really great. The heart in the background of that is molding paste I tinted purple and smeared on with a palette knife to give lots of texture. Because this piece is about lots of texture! Lesson I learned here: When tinting molding paste, it will dry to be much darker than originally tinted.
See that pinkish arrow in the middle of the canvas pointing down to the heart at the bottom? That was also done with molding paste pushed through a stencil. Lesson 2 about molding paste: it also shrinks as it dries. But the size still works. There are so many areas of goodness on this canvas.
I think one of my favorite things, besides the vial is the heart with their initials in it. I collaged various bits of purple paper down before inserting their initials on to pop up dots to give them more dimension. Then I hand glued each little star on there from a bottle of confetti I had. The heart is a piece of twine glued down with gel medium and painted purple. Love this section!
The seek part is pretty neat too, along with the saying on the piece of vellum I adhered to the panel.
So many little things going on, yet it is still cohesive. It really makes you look and contemplate what all is in there.  At least I learned a few things a long the way and really enjoyed the process of making it!

No comments:

Post a Comment