Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I would like to share today the first mixed media canvas I did when I rediscovered my love of painting. It was a small 5x7 panel that I made for my littlest sister's birthday. I got into scrapbooking a few years back, and I kept thinking, why can't I put this stuff on a canvas, wouldn't that be so cool! And so one day I decided to do some internet searching and discovered I wasn't the only one thinking like this and that's what gave me the courage to start doing it myself! My sister had this thing for zebra stripes and she had some zebra and other animal prints in her bedroom so I made this with that in mind, but I wanted it to be a little more funkier. Like zebra stripes meets Andy Warholish kind of thing, if that makes any sense to you. I drew a zebra pattern in pencil, then measured off and drew 4 equal grids on the panel. Then came the fun part, PAINTING! I was so happy, full of joy, it was the first time I had picked up a paintbrush in YEARS! It felt amazing. Here is how it looked after all the painting, and before a coat of varnish.
I was pumped about how it was turning out, and decided to seal it with a coat of varnish. After that I stared at it for a few weeks. I felt it needed something. Like this by itself wasn't enough, it needed some sparkle, something feminine. It didn't quite feel like it was in sync with my sister. She gets distracted by shiny glittering things, which I admit, is easy and fun to do. So I cut a heart out of black glitter paper, which shed everywhere and decided to embelish the heart with some bright pink fibers and rhinestones. Once that was all done, my "hairy heart", was attached to the canvas with some pop up squares to give it more dimension.
Now, how on earth to make this hangable for her to display in a manner that would fit her and the rest of the decor? Ribbon was the answer, I just had to find the perfect ribbon! Sounds easy, but it wasn't. I just wasn't digging what I had, and didn't want to go buy more. Add to my already insane supplies! No Thanks! I went to my aunt and raided her stash. I didn't go empty handed-I like to have something to trade, so I feel less like a moocher.  I brought some stuff and we swapped ribbon for ribbon. Great solution, by the way, if you know someone who has lots of stashes. She had this nice wide black lacyish ribbon that I loved immediately. So I tied a nice little bow, secured it with some glue, then hot glued it to the back of the canvas to hang. Isn't it great?!
I loved it, and so did she! Now, you just got the timelasped version of all that. Since I'm a slow finisher and have things like a day job and family to keep myself preoccupied she did not end up getting the gift on her birthday. It was more like 6 months afterwards. I'm bad I know, but she still really really enjoyed that special gift made just for her with her style in mind. So yay for both of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment